Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Crochet Rescue

 I got a call from a woman who wanted an afghan repaired. I said "why sure". I've alwys been able to do a little mending here and there. When her turn came on the job line up I was overwhelmed. I'd never seen such a mess. I tried on several occasions to do my best but nothing looked good. It's hard to match or come close to old polyester blends. I thought this would be my first failure. A final thought was to show it to the ladies at my kntting group. One suggested I take out all the bad squares and put it back together.
A perfect idea.

This is where I thought to take a picture. You can see on the edge what the squares looked like that I took out. It took a very long time to figure out how to get it back together without taking it all apart. A puzzle to be sure. Some of the squares still needed to be repaired and then the border crocheted.

Yesterday afternoon when I was all done I washed it and the colors sparkled. I totally underestimated the price for doing this but the pride of it looking so beautiful makes up for the money.
It's nice to have been able to save a family heirloom.


Debi said...

Wow! That was a lot of work, but it looks lovely and I'm sure you made someone very happy.

Jane said...

Love the colors in the blanket. I'm sure you made the owner very happy!

Liz said...

Wow. How wonderful that you were able to save it.